Minimuseum from Mudpies to Magnets

We created a mini museum with some of items in our nature collection today.  As simple as this looks, it took quite a bit of time and diligent effort to confirm the exact names of the items so we could be certain enough about them to make their labels. I think this mini museum might become a permanent fixture in our house.  It would be easy enough to swap out these items with new and different ones as the months go by.  And it’s nice to bring some items in our nature collection out of shoe boxes where we can see them more readily and appreciate them more often.  Note: Once the baby is toddling around and pulling up, we may have to put this collection in the middle of the dining room table or someplace even higher until she can be trusted not to destroy it. But for now and at least another month or two, our mini museum has a happy home on our coffee table.

Color My Petals from Mudpies to Magnets

We took a walk in our neighborhood to get some exercise, enjoy the perfect weather and to see (and hear) the spectacular, autumn leaves everywhere.

Here’s the view out over Waterbury from one side of our neighborhood, East Mountain.  Glorious! The wind sweeps through this spot and when you are standing here and it blows, you can’t help but close your eyes and smile (and think of this song.)

 

There’s a hillside where several grasses and wildflowers (weeds) grow. The girls collected some of the last of the Queen Anne’s Lace and put it behind their ears till we got home.

Once inside and settled, we found a science experiment in Mudpies to Magnets called “Color My Petals.”  We added several drops of food coloring to water in a vase and we’re going to let the flowers drink it up (and change color) to illustrate how flowers drink water from the ground outside.

Pillbug Palace from Mudpies to Magnets

We took a clean, empty aquarium outside then filled it with some moist dirt, a small, flat rock, a piece of bark, a broken twig and various dead leaves.  Then we scoured the woods behind our house for pill bugs. We found several, probably fifty, under the logs and pieces of bark along the ground near our wood pile. Norah used a disposable, plastic spoon to gently coax them off and into the aquarium.  We put the lid on (tightly) and brought the aquarium inside to observe the pill bugs for a few days.  “Operation Pill Bug” was a success! Note: We got the idea for this activity from Mudpies to Magnets.